How to regulate bowel movements: or some, Constipation is an occasional problem, but for others, it is a daily nightmare. There are solutions.
You may also be interested in: Why do opiates cause constipation
How to improve its intestinal transit?
Whether in stressful times, at family dinners or simply on a daily basis, we quickly take on bad eating habits. To take care of its transit is to preserve its health in the long term.
Intestinal transit is considered to be regulated when the stool is evacuated between 3 times a day and three times a week. Below this frequency, occasional or chronic constipation may be suspected. If on the contrary, the rate is higher, more than three times a day and the stool is liquid; it is called diarrhea.
It is not necessary to wait to evacuate its stool and not to restrain itself at the risk of undergoing discomfort and to deregulate the intestinal transit.
- The intestines have an internal clock. Eating at fixed times helps to give our body habits that contribute to facilitating intestinal transit. Nibbling between meals should be avoided and skipping meals should be prevented. It is better to have a healthy snack in the middle of the afternoon rather than eating in small quantities several times a day because the body will not know when to begin the digestion process. For a good transit, it is also necessary to take his time at the table and chew well the food. Eating too quickly, the body swallows air, which can cause bloating and the flatulence.
- We must ensure that we have a diet rich enough in fiber because they are the ones that maintain the proper functioning of the transit. The fruits and vegetables must, therefore, be part of the daily menu, as are whole grains, legumes (chickpeas, lentils, beans), the whole starchy foods (quinoa, bulgur) and dried fruit (apricots, figs, Prune). It is preferable to favor healthy oils such as olive oil or rapeseed oil. In the case of diarrhea, think of drinking more water or green tea for example. This rehydrates the body.
- The running, the swimming and cycling are beneficial to intestinal health. For the more chilly, more gentle practices like yoga or tai chi stimulate the blood circulation. For a favored intestinal transit, try to set a period of 20 minutes of physical activity per day or three times of 30 minutes per week. We think less, but laughter is a sport. It causes an abdominal gymnastics which favors the regulation of intestinal transit. So why deprive yourself?
- Naturopaths suggest a glass of aloe juice before bedtime. The aloe vera gel is a laxative mild and efficient to use if you suffer from occasional constipation or inordinate transit. The natural mucilages of flax seed, psyllium, and agar mixed with water are also beneficial because they soften the stool and facilitate the evacuation.
We recommend reading the article: Natural laxative foods and drinks
How to regulate bowel movements
The regularity of the stool is of great importance for your health and the proper functioning of your body. That is why you are strongly advised to make sure they are regularized. Some tips to help you.
- Drink plenty of water. For this, distribute at least 1.5l of water during the day: drink one glass on waking, fasting, a drink at bedtime and the rest all day. By doing this, you help your organization to dispose better of waste and thus regulate stools that are one of the ways to eliminate waste.
- Eat with regularity: at a fixed time, take your breakfast, lunch, and dinner so as not to disrupt your body. Parallel to this, as much as possible, avoid eating between meals as this will disrupt your appetite and will, therefore, change the time you go to the saddle.
- Fiber is the best way to help you get to the saddle. Invest in vegetables and fruits rich in fiber. Beware, however, of excesses as this could lead to a disorder in your digestion.
- Probiotic Yogurt
Many yogurts with probiotics say digestive health. A manufacturer of yogurt has funded studies that demonstrate that its product accelerates intestinal transit when eaten from 125 to 375 ml per day (1-3 servings). This effect would be predominantly observed in people whose transit time is longer. Although interesting, it can not be concluded that this product cures constipation. The majority of other yogurts with probiotics do not provide enough detail and evidence to judge their effectiveness.
You may also be interested in: Yoga poses for constipation